Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Oatmeal Dilemma

I am an addict. I am hopelessly addicted to sweets. I do try to control my addiction, but after a while, those uncontrollable cravings get stronger and stronger to the point where I'm constantly fantasizing  thinking about all kinds of desserts, even dream about it and I can't function well. I just can't help myself. 

This is me trying to get clean. Forcing myself to eat a mushy, sad looking bowl of oatmeal in the mornings, hoping to get something healthy into my system. But let's face it. Oatmeal, especially the instant kind, is just GROSS.  I don't know what it is about oatmeal that just completely turns me off. Maybe it's the texture..or that bland grayish color (shudder). How depressing!

So I tried to look for other ways to make my little morning bowl a bit happier. So I can eat my healthy breakfast and enjoy it too! 

BAKED OATMEAL.

Sounds interesting. Why not? All ingredients in the pantry - check!
Simple, quick and easy to make - check!

CINNAMON APPLE RAISIN BAKED OATMEAL
recipe adapted from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson via Smells Like Home

1 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

1 cup milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract

3/4 of a large apple, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

Butter an 8x8 inch square pan. 

Combine the oatmeal, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Mix the milk, sugar, egg, butter and vanilla well in another bowl. Stir in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Fold in apples and 1/2 cup raisins. 

Pour the mixture into the baking pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tbsp raisins on the top of the oats. 

Bake for 40-45 minutes until the oats are set and the top is golden brown. 

Serve oatmeal slice with some milk, cream or yogurt drizzled with honey.

The truth is, I'm not quite sure if I can get past the texture. Outside, it looked promising... Inside..it was too moist for me, almost like pudding. But I had wanted something almost like cookies or a granola bar. I still have yet to find the best baked oatmeal recipe.

Crunchy, chewy baked oatmeal, oh where art thou?

Maybe if I top it with some yogurt and more raisins, I might convince myself to like it..It's still HEAPS BETTER than that bowl of instant oatmeal mush though. 

Or maybe I should just give up and make some granola bars.